The eternal trend: Match it bby!

Re: The eternal trend: Match it bby!

Postby old_Ophelia » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:57 am

How important is matching, to you?
Very very important is my default mode. Like Maja, I often find myself with my face practically pressed against the screen, scrutinizing minute imperfections of shade.
Should 'realistic' avatars be subject to matching?
Yes and no. To me, a good realistic avatar should have colors that complement each other, and that frequently means a bit of matching - but much more subtle, like picking up the purple specks in one of the floral print dresses or something. However, what really makes a realistic avatar pop is when there's that one non-matching item that nevertheless looks great.
If you post on avatar rating boards, do you rate based on matching and/or overall theme?
When I critique other avatars (both in my head and formally), both theme and color are important issues -- but if I'm helping someone learn, I focus on color first, and theme second, because I think the latter is much harder to learn to do well. I only ever adore avatars that manage both, though: just color is boring/overdone; just theme neglects fashion.
How careful are you about matching 'whites' and 'blacks'?
I'm normally extremely diligent, particularly with whites. I make a point to distinguish between blue-white, gray-white, off-white, true white, ivory, beige, and cream...and don't even get me started on distinctions like gray-blue-white and light cream vs. light beige. Blacks are a little easier, I guess because there aren't as many possible categories (true black, blue-black, black-blue, and light and dark gray-black). If I have more than shade of black or white in an avatar, you can bet I've matched -- or at least tried to match! -- them individually.
Do you feel too much emphasis has been put on matching colours?
No. Or, well, only when people think that matching colors is the only thing that matters.
Any pet-peeves about colour-matching?
Unmatched whites. Unmatched reds also seem to be a big offender. (I came THIS close to deleting one of mine when I noticed a bracelet I'd included was the wrong shade!) Also, color matching at the cost of silhouette.
Other thoughts
Interestingly enough, color balance has become much less important to me over time -- or at least the way I balance has changed. This is due in part to popularity of gradient avatars: even though I've never made one, and see far more than I'd like to, they nevertheless made me see a possible different way of distributing color. For me the other factor is the growing emphasis on a streamlined or even simple/understated look -- no longer should an item that doesn't fit the theme and/or silhouette be added just for the sake of color.
old_Ophelia
Premium Member

Postby SWAG » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:52 am

it's pretty important, it keeps the HA flowing and makes it feel whole.

i don't think it should be as important, but i think you should at least put some effort into keeping a general color pallet going on.

If you post on avatar rating boards, do you rate based on matching and/or overall theme?
yes, that is part of the rating from me.

when i do use those colors, i try and pay close attention. it bothers me if they're shades are off, of course.

nah.

not that i can think of. maybe items that have different undertones that are used together in an avatar that just throw everything off.
SWAG

Postby MisterMilo » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:24 pm

How important is matching, to you? Very important. Without something in it to bring the avatar together it looks awful.

Should 'realistic' avatars be subject to matching? All avatars should have some sense of it in them.

If you post on avatar rating boards, do you rate based on matching and/or overall theme? Yes

How careful are you about matching 'whites' and 'blacks'? Especially with white, I always make sure that there is something else white there to compliment it. Black kind of goes with everything, even if it is just one item, so that's not as much of a deal.

Do you feel too much emphasis has been put on matching colours? No

Any pet-peeves about colour-matching? Yes. When people just put random items of a random colour in the avi that DON'T MATCH ANYTHING ELSE. dskjhfdskjhg It makes me want to tear my hair out and have a seizure.

Other thoughts People need to learn to colour coordinate. ï___ï
MisterMilo

Postby Ely » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:57 pm

It depends on how it looks. If it looks fine without matching, then fuck that shit. But, for me, if I incorporate a color into an avatar, I try to use it in at least two separate places.
Like I said, if it looks good, it doesn't matter.
Again it depends. If it's an avatar that would look better matched then I do.
How careful are you about matching 'whites' and 'blacks'? Not at all >:]
Do you feel too much emphasis has been put on matching colours? So overrated omg :A
Any pet-peeves about colour-matching? Uh I hate how that pretty copperybrown skankpop color is SO FUCKING HARD TO MATCH OMG :A :C :A :C but other than that no.
Other thoughts I don't have any C:
Ely
Premium Member

Postby oki » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:34 am

Looking back at all my HAs, I guess it seems to be pretty important, as in it's always something I think about, but it's not REALLY strict. Not as strict as it seems to be for a lot of people.

I think there should be SOME, but too much can actually be sort of boring and formulaic looking. I think it's more importance to have color BALANCE, which is not the same thing. (Also I don't mean it like it's used in Photoshop. I just mean balancing colors against each other according to the weight of the intensity and hue and everything.)

I guess mostly the overall thing. There are a lot of things besides perfect matching that can make an avatar "work", I think.

I don't use a lot of whites and blacks, but yeah, it bothers me when I have an avatar with a bunch of whites and then I try a white item and the shading is noticeably more blue than all the other items or something. Usually I won't use that item in that case, but sometimes you can make it work.

Kind of, yeah. Like I said, it gets formulaic. Not saying it can't be reeaally delicious, but it depends.

Not really.
oki

Postby beyonce » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:56 am

It's pretty important, but I'd rather have my item choices be cohesive than have everything match perfectly.
No, not really. Maybe one or two things should match each other to bring a sense of togetherness to the outfit, but that's about it.
I don't rate. |D
It depends. Normally I'm really careful, but if something that's maybe a bit lighter or darker fits better into the style I'm trying to achieve, I'll use that instead. c:
Oh yes, there definitely has been. It's good to match, but it's better to truly create.
When people match things boringly. No, plz have moar fun with your stuff.
Other thoughts
:A
beyonce
Premium Member

Postby Hermes » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:32 am

Very important. I catch myself attempting to match my IRL outfits as well, just like I'd try and match a HA on subeta. I'm huge on aesthetics.

Not always. Well, my realistic avatars are usually a pair of jeans and a button-up shirt, so not a lot going on there, really. But if there are several items on the avatar, I try to match here and there to make the outfit, uh, "coherent".

I prefer when the shades match each other. If I'm "forced" to use an item which has a shade not already on the avatar, I try my best to match that as well, or to make it at least excusable to use, so to say.

Hmm... sometimes. Sometimes people try too hard to match a HA and it ends badly, but that's the only negative I can find on the subject of matching colours. The emphasis is good. People should know the basics of aestheticism.

Not any besides what I mentioned in the previous question.

Other thoughts
NOPE. Not really. :I
Hermes

Postby Sketchbook » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:34 pm

I live and breath matching. Even though I suck at it...I always try to match things (at least from what I think is considered matching!) :>
Nah. Realistic crap doesn't mater! So long as it matches, and looks decent, I'm a-okay with it!
Hm....depends. I usually go back and forth on that. It's...yeah. I can't chose normally. Depends on the avatar I guess. ><
UGH. I'M ALMOST TOO CAREFUL ABOUT MATCHING THOSE TWO. I. have. to. have. both. even. with. each. other. RAWR. >:O
Well, me even being a complete matching nut-job, I'd say yes. I mean even I sometimes decide to go a little loco, and just toss an un-matching avatar together, and then I always get criticized. D<
I hate the combo of red and blue. :cat: I don't know why....I just do. But then again, it depends on the shade. I despise neon blue and neon red together. IT'S TOO BRIGHT. I base my color matching on typically rather dark colors, or I have to throw black..or something in it. All bright colors kills my eyes. :A
Other thoughts
....Eh. Nothing much. :O
Sketchbook

Postby wavves » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:04 pm

Very important; it is what I try to do in every avatar, and I try to match it well.
Yes. If it's realistic AND matches, that's an A+.
Matching, every time. Theme means pretty much nothing unless it is coherent.
Blacks and off-blacks are important, the whites, meh.
If you're doing it right, it's never too much.
When the colors don't go together, an item has very dated art, or when the overall HA just looks silly.
Other thoughts
:B
wavves

Postby Cole » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:11 am

Ooo! I wanna play...
Very important. Like Ophelia and Maja, my face is at the screen and I try to look at it from different angles and what not. I hate uploading a HA just to see a bracelet doesn't match once I see it at the bottom of the page verses the top. I'm a nut, I know. That is all for my HA making. I don't look at it as strictly on other HAs.
I think they should. I match when I dress myself. I do think that having pops of color are more important in realistic HAs though. More natural hair tones as well.
I vote on overall aesthetic, color matching and theme both fall into that for me.
I try to be very careful and treat the different shades as different colors. Mentally, I added "browns" to the question since I tend to use browns over blacks.
I do. I think matching is important while creating a HA and whatnot, but I think overall style should hold more emphasis. Never ever add an item simply because it matches the color palette, it must have more of a purpose than that.
Monochrome HAs drive me a little bonkers. Just a little. Some have been done really well but most aren't.
Other thoughts
Fashion is fun. LOL! I think that should come first.
Cole
Senior Administrator

Previous

Return to Style & Trends