Sheer Madness

Sheer Madness

Postby Nic » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:15 pm

Ok, so I've noticed that right now one of the biggest trends is the use of sheers. Its fairly obvious really. Lets talk about the sheer madness going on round here.

What do you think of the trend in general?
What makes a good sheer use?
What are your sheer pet peeves?
How do you use sheers?
“Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing.”- Aristotle
Sexy GD Icon by Boogleloo
Nic
Senior Administrator

Re: Sheer Madness

Postby beyonce » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:30 pm

Eh, not too fond of it myself.
For me, it's creating a dazzling effect without looking like an orgy or transparencies.
I can't stand when they don't flow, like when it just looks painfully obvious that the person just wanted to use sheers.
How do you use sheers?
I usually use them for solid blocks of color on the legs, maybe on the chest once in a while if I really need to.

So, I'm not really anti-sheer, but I'm not quite in love with them either.
When they're used well, it's great.
Used just because of the trend and it shows, then just no.
beyonce
Premium Member

Postby LazyKat » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:47 pm

Okay. Pretty obvious why it became a trend, helps supplement when you need just a titch of a hue/chroma/brightness change to match another part of the outfit.

"...Just a titch of a hue/chroma/brightness change to match another part of the outfit."

The tops of stockings over pants. I don't care if I logically know you're wearing sheer stockings over your denimz, as long as I don't see the top of your stockings over your pants!

How do you use sheers?
As carefully as I can, sheer everywhere isn't something I can really pull off. 'Maroon Ink'd' is basically as much as I can use in good conscience.

AeriaLure is pretty known, I'd think, for hitting the sheers hard and sometimes she comes up with something really lovely and intricate, and sometimes it's a bit like undercooked brownies. However you tend to feel about those.
LazyKat

Postby kurloz » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:57 am

If used well, I don't mind it. I tend to sigh when I see another sheer HA pop up on style file, but if I really look at it (and like I said, it's used well), I can appreciate the avatar.
Well, using sheers all over an avatar isn't too appealing to me. Sure, it's an easy way to match, but you show skill by not using sheers and making a nice, matching HA. I really like it when people use sheers to completely transform an item, though.
Well I guess, like I said, when people use sheer all over an avatar.
How do you use sheers?
Usually on the legs. I'm fond of using the argyle stockings under those lace stockings; gives quite a nice effect. I've also used the transparent halter tops before.
kurloz

Postby Macbeth » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:22 pm

I love using sheers, but mostly for the legs and sometimes the arms. I think it's a great way to get the perfect color stockings if you're going for a nicely matched avatar. It's fun finding ways to mix and match sheers over other items if you don't want to rely on using a set just to match.

Pet peeves? Eh, I honestly can't think of something that really sticks out as far as sheers go specifically. Like someone else mentioned, stockings over pants look a bit off, but it doesn't bug me too much if I see someone doing it. I usually try avoiding sheers over pants unless I am wearing a skirt to hide the top of the stockings. :)
Macbeth

Postby Christopher » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:43 am

I don't mind them, if they're not badly done.

See above.

When they're used badly.

How do you use sheers?
I have two examples:

Image Image

Example one - I have no fucking clue. Like, seriously. None. WHY DID I THINK THAT THAT WAS A GOOD IDEA?
Example two - I believe I only used White Sheer Pantyhose on this one, and that's because the helmet was a freaking bitch to match.

SO TL;DR: I used sheers more than I should've.
Christopher
Administrator

Postby oki » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:33 pm

I think it's awesome that Subeta has so many sheer items. The ability to overlap and make new colors and interesting effects really adds a new dimension to the customizability of HAs. I guess I get dazzled by the overall effect of most HAs, so I don't often notice "oh they're using a lot of sheers" or anything. So I never thought of it in terms of a trend.

I am always really impressed by clever layering that disguises or changes the items into something new. I like to see sheers used for this. For example, Macbeth, I like how you turned the colors light on that one HA, even if it looks a little weird on closer inspection. XD
I guess I often choose to hold cleverness in higher regard than "chic"ness. (It's great when they can coincide though.)

None right now. Anything goes, man. XD; If I have a peeve with something it probably won't be because it's sheer, it'll just be because it's not used well. There's nothing sheers do that is more annoying than the stuff other items can do.

How do you use sheers?
I don't use them much. Just here and there for different purposes. (usually the items aren't the style I like working with) Maybe I don't use them enough, actually. They can add nice texture and depth.
oki

Postby wavves » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:58 pm

I don't like seeing it much, I see it as a crutch for matching, and it takes away from an item's detail.
When it's SHEERly for just colorbocking in the legs, otherwise, throw it out the door.
When people put unusual patterns or textures, and even if they match, I still don't like it. :T
How do you use sheers?
I rarely do, but I only use them for matching a color exactly or lightening a tone.
wavves

Return to Style & Trends