Backgrounds are so taboo.

Backgrounds are so taboo.

Postby Troll » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:56 am

Could anyone answer why that is specifically? Are there varied answers, or could it be summed up in one?

Do you think with the addition of so many brilliant backgrounds that've been made recently (cw specifically), things may slowly change? or will they always be frowned upon by the majority?

My background collection is extremely extensive, I own 93 CW bgs alone. They're a staple for my looks, I probably have a background for almost any HA at this point, or growing close to it. The reason I ask is I already feel like a minority by being a male user who only makes male HAs, and I don't understand the anti-background stance some people have.

Enlighten me people, do it.
Troll
Premium Member

Re: Backgrounds are so taboo.

Postby Karissa » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:06 am

I wouldn't say there is a anti-background stance people have but more as in sometimes it is just not their style. I personally don't use many backgrounds(except on rare occasions) because I find the HA's I create seem to get lost when a background is added.
Karissa
Junior Adminstrator

Postby Troll » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:17 am

Maybe I just assumed it then, I was told chic doesn't normally allow avatars with backgrounds. I look up to chic quite a bit, and I was a little letdown to read that sentence. :c
Troll
Premium Member

Postby Cole » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:36 am

I think the case with backgrounds is they are so very specific, very "one-note" in a way. They are great for cosplay and avatars based around those types of things.

I do think that CWs are changing the perception of backgrounds. As you can see, there is a HA in the weekly Top 5 that beautifully utilizes a background. The amount of adores on it alone shows the community's willingness to embrace well done looks with backgrounds.

Another thing, a lot of the fashion ideals that seem to be held strongly by the HA making community have been around for years. CWs have brought a lot of new faces to that community so perceptions are starting to change with that as well.

All in all, I do not think that backgrounds will be the next big must have on every "fashionable" avatar, but they will become more and more accepted. Especially when they are used well, with balance, and a sharp eye for fashion.

As for CHIC and "allowing" backgrounds... it all comes down to fashion. Like Karissa pointed out, it is harder to make a look stand out from a background without taking it too far so backgrounds have been avoided in the past. It is much harder to make a "fashionable" HA with a background than without one.
Cole
Senior Administrator

Postby Troll » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:07 am

Thank you for your reply Knikol, everything you've said makes sense and that's exactly the reply I was hoping for. <3
Troll
Premium Member

Postby Mentore » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:01 pm

Subeta does seem to frown upon male HAs and background use in general.

I, myself, am female in reality but over the past two years (the bulk of my time on Subeta), I've had male HAs. They're a delightful challenge and sometimes, the addition of a background just seems to accentuate them.

It depends highly on personal taste though. Some HAs look good with backgrounds, some look good without. :huh:
Mentore

Postby Cole » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:53 am

Male HAs.... they are a challenge. It's hard to take the shape that is given and makes a masculine look. I love making male HAs, but subeta does lack options. Hopefully we will continue to get more male items.

I've never been very good with backgrounds, I feel I get lost in them when I try to create with them. Unless I'm doing something that is more cosplay, then I find that backgrounds can be key.
Cole
Senior Administrator

Postby Iridescent » Sat May 18, 2013 6:15 pm

I tend to use backgrounds more often than not. I usually am going for a certain feel or look with my ha though. It really has nothing to do with trend or fashion lol. I can see how users who are really into high end fashion might find backgrounds impossible to work with though. The majority of backgrounds I see are outdoors or depicting very specific themes. Now if my girl was in a couture gown I might be able to use the ball room background. But other than that..

I kinda think that if there were more backgrounds out there that could be used with trendy magazine fashion looks that more people might actually use them. For example, a runway or a catwalk, (ref), a photoshoot, boutique, red carpet or event, a bright clean city street, a boardwalk by the beach, typical places you see models in ads. In my minds eye they would be very muted colors and minimalistic, maybe blurred out a bit. *shrugs*
Iridescent

Return to General Discussion