How did you start?

How did you start?

Postby Elcarim » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:28 am

For me I started out as a vanishing cream user, it was one of my favorite things to do.
(This one is the only one I remember, the ones before it are a blur.)

I use to make a new one every week or so, eventually I believe Emmie (Assea) encouraged me to start creating HAs through her "Subetas Nest Big Wig Contest" thread from almost 2 years ago.
At first I use to be strictly male with my HAs but after growing comfortable with the whole scene, I wanted to create female HAs as well.

Its been a year and a half since my last vanishing cream HA, thank you for making that contest Emmie!

Now, I'm curious to know how others came into the whole HA scene, did someone inspire you? were you just bored and decided to dress up? etc :]
Elcarim

Re: How did you start?

Postby Evalain » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:58 pm

I'm an artist, so naturally I like to design things.

I started making HAs more when I learned about this site a few weeks ago from SD. Making HAs is something that I would like to learn to do well, but just can't seem to do. I joined style-file in hopes of learning a bit more about it.
Evalain

Postby Maja » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:52 am

I think I flat-out sucked for an entire year. I walked around wearing the Empress Prom Dress like it was the best thing since sliced bread, and whored the Aurora Borealis like there's no tomorrow. I stalked WADYL and tried to follow the cluttery trends that ruled back then. Key word: tried >> *LOL*

Somewhere at the beginning of 2009 I figured out what proper matching was. I got my first WADYL mention with a godawful bright blue orange monstrosity that I shall spare you from seeing.

I was really shy, didn't really have any friends, and always just lurked the forums, so I can't say that someone else encouraged me. I got a lot of mentions for my Masq '09 HA and I think that inspired me to improve. LOLWAT.

Now, I don't know if Erika (Luscious) remembers this, but last summer she mentioned this HA of mine on WADYL
And I was all "ASLAJSKLJDALSKJDAKD" and "OMGGGG SDFSDSDFSDFSF", and variations thereof, and that was the moment when it dawned upon me that I might actually be good at this whole HA business <3 *lol*
Maja
Premium Member

Postby Luscious » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:46 pm

AWWWWWWWW MAJA! :aww: :aww: :aww: :aww: :aww: :aww:
Luscious
Site Owner

Postby Jordan » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:58 am

@Maja: Wow. I would never remember something like that!

I started by making pretty much the same kind of "realistic" type HAs I always have. My first was very anime looking... I wish I still had it xD. I loved the Timid eyes. Those big beatty ones.

Then I continued and evolved into your typical avatar maker pre SF. I was even voted one of the top Avatar makers by my peers (but not by the top avatar judges!). Now I tend to follow more realistic style and my HAs are typically the same. I am not necessarily proud of this but I try to branch out occasionally and sometimes I will go on a weird branch out but I always get back to my "realistic" norm.
Jordan
Premium Member

Postby Elcarim » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:26 am

@vahalla
I completely understand since I am also an artist.

@Maja
haha I use to rock vanishing cream, without anything above it, and thought I was big poppa~~

@Luscious
I am really curious to know how you started off on subeta. :]

@peach
Yeah the only one I remember from way back then would probably be that Cinnamon wig from BH, with that popstar umbrella and the funky shoulder-padded fuschia tank. It was my favorite from yours for a longgg time!
Elcarim

Postby Luscious » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:54 am

@kask

Hell if I remember that was sooooooooo long ago, haha. I think I started viewing avatars as something fun and creative (especially since you could express yourself) from the very beginning, but didn't get into the whole "Subeta fashion" thing until being mentioned on the original WADYL. Then I was like, "Oh, what's this?" and enjoyed mentioning cute avatars and it spiraled on from there and the rest is history.
Luscious
Site Owner

Postby Evalain » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:33 pm

kask wrote:@vahalla
I completely understand since I am also an artist.

I can tell; your avatars are very well done. :)
Evalain

Postby Mega » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:27 am

When avatars were first introduced I was all butt hurt about subeta taking away my 64x64 hidden avatars that I worked so hard to get. So I was anti avatars for a month or so. But then I started throwing together articles of clothing. My first avatar had the faded jeans (which were expensive back then because it was pretty much the only decent pair) a yellow tank top, brown scene hair, and a yellow dragon tail. Hot I know. Then I got into Wadyl. Which really isn't a good measure of good HAs since style file came around. I joined SR. But I don't think I started making good avatars until Erika commented on an avatar of mine and gave me advice to not stick every color of the rainbow all in the feet because it looks weird. She said it in nice terms of course. And since then I've been improving!
Mega
Premium Member

Postby beyonce » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:25 pm

I started out just piling things on that I thought looked pretty. I remember I was reeeeally into the pompom scarves and strapless ribbon dresses. :x
I didn't start trying to match until the beginning of '09, and even then it was just "THIS COLOR IS IN THE NAME IT MUST WORK."
Like in March or April of that year, I got my first WADYL mention for this cream/pink monstrosity I wore a lot (it had wrap glasses and a pompom knit hat I think) and that's when I really felt like I could actually be ~*~recognized~*~.
I guess after that I just kept on making avatars and trying to get better. Actually, I still am. At least I think I am. :'D
beyonce
Premium Member

Next

Return to General Discussion