Generated Avatars

Generated Avatars

Postby old_Ophelia » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:44 am

How do we feel about generated avatars on Style File?

While the rules don't expressly forbid them, and maybe therefore I'm supposed to assume it's okay, I did want to bring it up, especially since it's such an important issue for people using Style File who want to at some point apply to CHIC.

So: Is it okay?

If it is okay, I definitely think we should have a "generated" or "HA generator" suggested tag.

OPINIONS PLZ.
old_Ophelia
Premium Member

Re: Generated Avatars

Postby Luxe » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:43 am

I'm a bit "meh" about generated avatars being on SF, myself. I suppose it could be allowed, but I would absolutely want a "generated" tag on avatars, especially if we had the ability to tag other peoples' uploads (it sounds a bit invasive, but it is possible on Facebook and even COLOURlovers). Short of me going into your wardrobe and checking it on Subeta ;) there's really no way for anyone on SF to know if you can actually wear what you've just created. It's not usually important until stuff is tagged for events, contests, or applications.
Kickin' it at the top because I'm too legit to quit, sang!
Luxe
Premium Member

Postby nouveau » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:29 pm

Eh. Part of the appeal of style file is getting to go "Hey! I saw you wear that on Subeta a while ago and it rocks." xD
nouveau
Premium Member

Postby Justin » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:47 pm

Personally, I don't really like generated avatars on Style File because it takes away the spirit of for me. I mean, yes, it would make sense to put it up there to get feedback or to gauge how good it is. At the same time, though, it's like the people who put outfits on lookbook.nu that they wouldn't actually wear outside.

It is okay, though, until there is some lying going on ("I made this, really, I just changed it right after!") for things like events or applications as already said. While I hope this doesn't happen, there's always going to be one bad apple.
Justin
Premium Member

Postby Isabella » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:10 pm

I'd rather not have generated HAs on Style File. I see it as an archive of what people wore around Subeta, not what people can make with unlimited budget and layers.
Isabella
Junior Adminstrator

Postby ROBOT » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:36 pm

I did have a few generated HAs uploaded but since it seems like the majority doesn't care for them being on SF, I removed them. I was kind of glad to get rid of the excess anyway. Now that more people are joining, I don't want to be a contributor to avatar spam. XD
Last edited by ROBOT on Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ROBOT
Senior Administrator

Postby Kita » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:51 pm

i'm not too fond of the idea, but i guess it would be ok as long as people say they were generated, and maybe what for, or it could be their "dream" HA or something?
Kita
Premium Member

Postby Vela » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:46 am

would this include human avatars that are creating using your own wardrobe, but never worn? my 'pearls for girls' submission was made by my own wardrobe, i own everything but it was done for a contest and i never actually wore it myself. i also have another submission that's in the same situation, only i've made it for myself and haven't used it yet.
Vela
Premium Member

Postby platypii » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:42 am

I get both sides of this (ie. for contests or such), but in the same length, like Justin said, there really is no way to track down everyone that might have a generated av and make them tag it :(

Idk, I'm not fond of the idea, and I think instead of uploading avs that are generated just so you can get thoughts on them is kind of a waste of stylefile space. I mean, I know there are countless critique me threads, and if someone wants to know about an avatar that, say they're gonna use in an application but aren't sure about, they should take it to the appropriate place. But, again, short of wardrobe checks, there really isn't any way to prevent it.

IN SHORT, since I really sort of rambled there, I'm against it, but I see where it could be useful.

j u s t i n says (9:56 PM):
yay i love you
shit did i type that and hit enter?
platypii
Premium Member

Postby Kaci » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:12 pm

I'm not too fond of having generated HAs on SF, but I'd say having generated HAs would be fine as long as the people putting the generated HAs up identified them as generated. They should be planning on getting the items, and wearing the outfit sometime.
Don't be a baby! Remember what you told me?
............................Shut up! & put your money where your mouth is!
................That's what you get for waking up in Vegas!
-----------------------
Kaci
Premium Member

Next

Return to General Discussion