How are you tagging/categorizing?

How are you tagging/categorizing?

Postby Luxe » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:25 pm

I just went through and tagged all of my uploaded avatars by colors and textures, e.g., lace, ruffles, spikes, fishnet. I guess I felt like breaking stuff down by color wasn't hard enough! Masochist. >:D I was trying to think of tags that might help people to view similar groups of avatars. Descriptions like "cute" or "sexy" are totally subjective and differ based on peoples' opinions, but colors are pretty rigid. Not that there's anything wrong with those adjectives; I just didn't think they'd be much of a resource for people, myself.

I've seen some people tagging by time/date range created or by events. Personally, I'm using events, and I set aside a category for avatars I'd get art of-- the ones that really looked like "Luxe."

What are you using?

[edit]
Because it wasn't difficult enough, I've decided on a more complex tagging formula!

• Colors
  • Textures, e.g., lace, ruffles, fishnet, pearls/beads, etc.
  • Subeautique set - I usually just include the set name, not the individual pieces. I figure all the sets in a piece match, so it's not necessary to list them each out.
  • Mysterious Costume Trunk - I'll list the entire trunk name as well as the name of the gender's set, if there is one. So, for example, if I were wearing the Calavera Bride Dusty Rose Headband, I'd tag the avatar with Strange Skull Candle and Calavera Bride.
  • Hair - Wig or Salon. If it's a wig, I'll list the wig specifically (these are the only items I've tagged by name). If it's a salon style, I'll name the style.

Put like that, it's not such a bit deal, but the trouble is that I'm realizing I wear a lot of costume trunk stuff. If I wear the Donna Fake Eyelashes and Fairy Lip Gloss and my Feisty Heroine Tousled Tresses... that's eight new tags. :A
Kickin' it at the top because I'm too legit to quit, sang!
Luxe
Premium Member

Re: How are you tagging/categorizing?

Postby Nic » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:09 pm

I tagged my chic application HAs and hair salon HAs. I tag by theme, color probably, prominent style, stuff like that.
“Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing.”- Aristotle
Sexy GD Icon by Boogleloo
Nic
Senior Administrator

Postby Isabella » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:35 pm

I tag by: major colors used, major items used (if I built the HA around an item), realistic (if it's a realistically-clothed HA, which most of my recent ones are), what event it was (if for CHIC event), er... and then adjectives, like girly, cute, kawaii, angry, punk, etc. And then rando stuff like "I like knives," if there are knives involved... yes, it's often enough that it gets its own tag... :P

Though after reading this and seeing some of the more intense tagging people are doing, I think I'm going to add to mine (things like salon, more names of items used, more names of what inspired me, etc)
Isabella
Junior Adminstrator

Postby ROBOT » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:46 pm

The only items I've been tagging are wigs because I tend to get a lot of use out of the ones I own. If I used the salon, I tag the hairstyle as well. Then I tag colors, texture or staple items (fishnets, piercings, tattoos, cigarettes-- haha, etc). If it's inspired by a theme (ie: vintage, pinup, real-life) I'll do that too. I tagged chic events and contests as well.

The only category I've made is for the Shindig event since some of those HAs weren't based on my personal style or something I'd do normally.
ROBOT
Senior Administrator

Postby Luxe » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:39 am

Ooh, I like the idea of tagging by wig/salon style. I might have to go through and do that, as well as tag by a more broad color description. I have a lot of navy, denim blue, cyan, but I think tagging some of those with just "blue" would help as well.
Luxe
Premium Member

Postby Sin » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:01 am

I'm trying to get into the habit of tagging as many of the identifiable items used in an HA as possible. At one point I saw someone talking about tags and they mentioned how it would be cool to be able to search a difficult to use item and see all the ways other people used it. I liked the idea and I think it'd be neat if enough people tagged items that this would start to be possible.

I tag colors too, but I try to keep it basic (since I think that'll be the most useful) like red/blue/yellow, instead of getting overly specific. Otherwise I feel like I'll end up tagging "viridian" while everyone else is just tagging blue or green, lol.

Otherwise, I tag a few common categories like tattoos, lace, flowers, etc or themes/events like Spring Fling, ASC, Shindig, cosplay.

I also always try to tag "no GA" whenever it's a one or two layer avatar, because that's one I always check to see if other people have tagged.
"Even after I'm dead, I will swim through the soil like a mermaid of the Earth, just to be next to your bones."
(Archipelago Of Kisses, Jeffrey McDaniel)
Sin
Premium Member

Postby jila » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:17 pm

im tagging primarily by color.

also events. and sometimes if there are items i use a lot (like flowers, fishnets, etc.)

i might go through and add salon stuff too. i think its really interesting to see what other people do with the salon too. and maybe a hair layering tag too, since i really like doing that as much as i can :O
jila
Premium Member

Postby glory » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:40 am

i haven't done any tagging or categorizing yet really, though i probably should. you guys are giving me some good ideas! i think i may categorize some of my older ones into a category.
glory
Premium Member

Postby Luxe » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:27 pm

Hi, my name is Luxe and I have a tagging problem. :U
Luxe
Premium Member

Postby MidnightShadow » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:42 pm

Luxe wanna tag all my avatars for me? XD I mostly just have a set of tags I use and give them to avatars that use them. Colors, hair color, wig/salon hair, sometimes I'll list the hair/wig name, then I add if there is a cigarette, glasses, piercings, tattoos, or some random thing I think people would look for. I try to use tags that I think others would also use, or be inclined to look at, to increase chances of my avatar being seen. I might on occasion specify an item being used, and if an avatar is realistic I am sure to include that on my tag. I use both realistic and real life.
Don't stand there watching me, follow me, show me what you can do.

MidnightShadow
Site Coder

Next

Return to General Discussion